From the Speaker’s Press Office:
OOPS. Looks like Leader McCarthy fumbled his agenda rollout by accidentally posting the webpage of House Republicans’ “Commitment to America” – and then scrambled to password protect the website again…
…but not before we got screenshots.
Screenshots that reveal that House Republicans are doubling down on an extreme MAGA agenda: to criminalize women’s health care, to slash seniors’ Medicare (including with the repeal of the lower drug prices for seniors in the Inflation Reduction Act), and to attack our democracy.
The extreme MAGA House GOP is already on record about how they intend to implement their extreme plans for a federal law to criminalize abortion in all 50 states:
- 166 House Republicans, including GOP Whip Scalise and Chair Stefanik, have co-sponsored a “Life Begins at Conception” bill that would use the 14th Amendment to criminalize all abortion after the moment of fertilization, with absolutely no exceptions for rape, incest or the health of the woman.
- 179 House Republicans have co-sponsored or endorsed as members of the Republican Study Committee a bill to criminalize abortion nationwide after six weeks, before most women even know they are pregnant, with no exceptions for rape or incest, explicitly punishable by 5-year sentences in federal prison for doctors.
- 205 House Republicans voted in support of arresting, finding or suing women for traveling across state lines to obtain an abortion.
- 195 House Republicans voted against the fundamental right to contraception.
- 210 House Republicans voted against restoring the fundamental rights that women had for almost 50 years under Roe v. Wade, with the Women’s Health Protection Act.
The extreme MAGA Commitment to America promises to repeal the lower drug prices Democrats delivered for America’s seniors as part of the Inflation Reduction Act, handing hundreds of billions of dollars back to Republicans’ pals in Big Pharma.
Meanwhile, the overwhelming majority of House Republicans have explicitly called for going even further by gutting Medicare and Social Security:
- 158 out of 212 House Republicans, including top GOP leadership Members Whip Scalise and Chair Stefanik, have called for slashing and privatizing Social Security, raising the retirement age to 70 and ending Medicare as we know it as part of the Republican Study Committee FY2023 budget.
- Top GOP Senator Rick Scott continues to push Senate Republicans’ plan to terminate Social Security and Medicare after five years.
- Senior GOP Senator Ron Johnson called for putting Social Security and Medicare on the chopping block for Republicans to slash at will every year.
- 193 House Republicans voted against limiting seniors’ and families’ co-pay for insulin to $35 per month, with the Affordable Insulin Now Act.
AN EXTREME MAGA Commitment to Undermine Free Elections & Our Democracy
Incredibly, Republicans’ Extreme MAGA “Commitment to America” continues to explicitly sow doubts about the legitimacy of legally-cast ballots, fanning baseless suspicion about early voting. Their extreme agenda also pledges to make it harder for Americans to vote, purge eligible voters from the rolls, give extreme MAGA state legislatures absolute power to change the rules of elections at whim, and help insert extreme MAGA allies to disrupt polling places and vote-counting, in order to help MAGA politicians invent a basis to overturn the results of elections they don’t like.
- 147 House Republicans voted to overturn the results of the 2020 election on January 6, even after the violent extreme MAGA attack on the Capitol.
- House Republican Leadership is whipping their Members to allow state legislatures to overturn the results of free and fair elections, to allow extreme MAGA politicians and officials to refuse to count ballots, and to refuse to send correct certificates of election or even to send false certificates in a Presidential election, by voting against the bipartisan Presidential Election Reform Act.